HSF has 172 partners and over 590 lawyers in Australia, offering expertise across a broad range of practices. For five consecutive years, HSF has had the most Australian practice groups ranked Band 1 by Chambers. In 2016 the firm was named:
- Most Innovative International Law Firm (FT Asia-Pacific Innovative Lawyers Awards)
- International Firm of the Year (Australasian Law Awards)
- LexisNexis and Janders Dean Legal Innovation Index Winner (for collaborative client service initiative)
HSF’s strong commitment to client service has been bolstered with a new client-focused initiative championed by our Regional Managing Partner, Australia and Asia. We worked on more Australian M&A deals in 2016 than any other firm, ranking 1st by deal count of announced and completed deals (Thomson Reuters). We acted on the largest, most complex and urgent matters in 2016. Including advising:
- A consortium on the $16b Ausgrid sale (largest Australian M&A of 2016)
- Johnson & Johnson and DePuy International Ltd in several class actions which formed a subset of global litigation worth billions (Australia’s largest ever product liability case);
- Reliance Worldwide’s $1.3b IPO (largest Australian IPO of 2016);
- Newcrest Mining in a shareholder class action in which the parties agreed a $36m settlement without any admission of liability by Newcrest; and
- A consortium on the acquisition of a 50-year lease of the Port of Melbourne (largest transport privatisation in Australia's history).
- The Port of Melbourne transaction demonstrated our ability to offer large cross-practice teams. The deal involved corporate, finance, regulatory, disputes, employment, environment and real estate teams.