In 2016, our firm launched new social responsibility initiatives and achieved significant milestones including:
- We provided 36,055 hours of pro bono advice and assistance in FY2016 – the note from the 9th Annual Performance Report on the National Pro Bono Aspirational Target reads: 1. Figures throughout the report exclude the significant pro bono contribution of Salvos Legal and Salvos Legal Humanitarian, except the number of Target signatories and the number of FTE lawyers covered by the Target. This is due to the significant distorting effect of these numbers in other calculations.
- By December 2016, our firm had acted or assisted in over 17,700 humanitarian cases for free.
- Grew to 15 offices and Advice Bureaus between Sydney and Brisbane, plus a free national telephone advice service.
- Our Humanitarian firm, Salvos Legal Humanitarian, partnered with MDA Ltd to open a new Asylum Seeker Clinic (ASC) in Queensland to assist people who arrived by boat and are seeking asylum through the Legacy Caseload visa application process. The ASC provides people with a fair opportunity to present their claims for protection in circumstances where legal assistance is extremely limited. In its first four months, the ASC completed approximately 150 appointments, equating to 1497 hours of pro bono assistance.
- We became signatories to United Nations Global Compact, the largest corporate responsibility initiative in the world.
- We were certified as a B Corporation, an international certification for enterprises that meet rigorous standards of social and environmental performance, accountability, and transparency.