The Fonterra Legal Team is an agile and highly experienced team which provides strategic legal support to New Zealand’s largest company with diverse international operations and sales of dairy ingredients and products into over 140 markets.
The Team has provided critical and effective support and leadership in key strategic projects and initiatives for Fonterra in 2016 including:
- High profile and contentious review of Fonterra’s governance and representation model and shareholder approval of changes to the model.
- Joint venture with Beingmate, major Chinese infant formula player, for operation of an infant formula plant in Darnum, Victoria.
- New Zealand Commerce Commission’s dairy market competition review and resulting proposed changes to the Dairy Industry Restructuring Act.
- Major international arbitration and other legal proceedings with Danone arising out of Fonterra’s WPC80 precautionary recall.
- Sale of Wagga Wagga manufacturing site and the Riverina Fresh brand.
- Sale of Australian yoghurt and dairy dessert business to Parmalat.
- Strategic manufacturing agreement with Bellamy’s Australia to manufacture infant nutrition powders.
- Establishment of Disrupt programme – a company-wide and game-changing corporate innovation programme.
- High profile ACCC investigation into conduct by Fonterra Australia in connection with milk price changes in Australia.
The Team has reduced average hourly external legal spend by over 5% in 2016 through refreshing engagement and service models with its external panel firms.
The Team has also implemented a broad range of legal demand management initiatives in 2016 which have enabled the team to focus on more strategic work.