It’s been a standout year for IFM Investors’ Australian Legal team. In addition to being involved in virtually every aspect of the business (including fund raising, new products, and transactions across infrastructure, debt investments, listed equities and private equity), highlights include: Acquisition of 50.4% of Ausgrid (enterprise value $20.7b) • first successful unsolicited proposal for a major infrastructure acquisition in NSW, achieved in highly compressed timeframe (4 weeks);
- largest Australian M&A transaction in 2016;
- largest ever Australian direct privatisation;
- largest debt raising in 2016 and one of the largest in Australian market history ($12b+).
$3b+ sale of global renewables platform Pacific Hydro; involved a global sales process requiring:
- a variety of different structures, assets, jurisdictions and governing laws (15+ SPAs);
- significant vendor due diligence process and the largest data room ever managed by HSF Australia;
- produced a highly competitive process and an outstanding result for IFM.
Infrastructure debt funds for Korean investors (approx US$600m): IFM’s first entry into Korea, requiring an innovative investment structure to cater for Korea’s relatively closed and complex market.
Launch of 3 new equities products, requiring the establishment of a complex structure involving Australian and Cayman based funds.
Debt investments (approx. $1.2b): credit facilities to listed and private companies, complex, innovative securitisation transactions, and project and property finance.
Private Equity: acquisition of 50% interest in ISGM, growth acquisitions for Scottish Pacific and eCommerce Ventures, ASX listing of Scottish Pacific and introduction of Hugh Jackman as shareholder in IFM-owned RM Williams.